Thursday, August 5, 2010

Do Not Try This At Home

I can't imagine someone riding a horse without a helmet. But the truth is that there are some people who will neglect safety and engage in such a foolish act. Millie Chalk explains more on this safety mistake that some people engage in.

The Dangers of Riding Without a Helmet

I've known of far too many situations where someone was severely hurt by going without the protection of a helmet, don't you? Yet it's taken a few years for me to finally get smart enough to realize what a silly and reckless thing it is to go without. Is keeping your hair nice or your head cool really worth risking a head injury often leading to a concussion, a coma or even death?

I can give you countless reports of such things happening each and every year! It doesn't matter how well trained you or your horse is. Things just happen. I've had ponies simply walking that tripped over a tree root and fell down dropping their rider to the ground. It's bound to happen sooner or later.

So why are we still seeing people riding without a helmet? Do they think it's cool? I'll tell you what's not cool and why I won't be caught without a helmet on my head anytime I'm on the back of a horse and that is I fear the ridicule I'd receive from my savvy and wise students if I ended up with a head injury because of neglecting to do something I am adamant about for them. Dealing with their disappointment in me would be far worse than any physical injury and I'm glad of their expectations because they keep me determined not to give in to discomfort or appearance!

As adults I feel we need to set the example. (You know the kids look at an adult without their helmet like they're the most stupid person on the planet. Come on, do we really need to give them something else to diminish ourselves in their eyes?)

Just logic and good sense tells you why you need to wear a helmet. As I say to my kids... "You have two of everything, two arms, two legs, two hands but only one head, if it breaks you have nothing else to take its place".

Today more than ever we have a huge variety of helmets with which to choose from, everything from super cool to super hot! There's a helmet for every discipline and every occasion and something that can fit into any budget.

So no matter what you're riding, how you're riding or where you're riding to you need to put on a helmet!

Millie Chalk (White Star Woman)

Professional horse trainer for 25yrs. and author of historical fiction. Part Cherokee Indian I'm passionate regarding the current struggle of all the first nations feeling most akin for several reasons to the Lakota.

For more information on all phases of horseback riding and horse care check out my new website... http://backyardhorseman.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment